miercuri, 25 iunie 2014

Lydia Paek - Cuvism (2013 July) Magazine Interview!


Hello. Please introduce yourself.
Hello. I’m Lydia Paek. Nice to meet you.
You’re currently a YG producer. You were a member of a US dance team at first. When did you start dancing?
I started dancing when I was 15 through the Step Off Church dance team at church. After that, dancing became a serious thing when I joined the Quest Crew and Boxcuttuhz (Lando Wilkins).
Was there a particular occasion for you to get into dancing?
I simply like music, so I was by myself and I wondered what I could do and I started dancing. At that time, there weren’t many female breakdancers, so it made it kind of more attractive for me. You can watch differents things on Youtube now, but I could sometimes researched on how to make a movement at that time.
You mean you learn dancing by yourself?
I learned breakdancing on my own. After that, I joined Quest Crew and I learned a lot by asking the oppas from the crew.
What do you think makes dancing so charming?
When you listen to a song, anyone can get to imagine something that matches the lyrics. I think dancing is the same. I think dancing can convey what music says. I think it’s even better that you can show it in a direct way.
I’m curious to hear how you got in touch with YG.
My friends Shaun Evaristo and Aimee Lee Lucas were dancers for Youngbae. We’ve known each other since we were in the US. One day, they told me they were working with YG and they introduced me to YG because they liked my voice. Then, YG got to see my Youtube videos and this is how the connection was made.
Were you contacted for your vocal skills?
They watched the covers I uploaded on youtube and their offer was from the vocal side indeed.
So I’m curious about how you began to compose songs?
When I was in Korea, I went to Teddy-oppa’s studio and Yang Hyun Suk-sajangnim came in. He asked me which song I was practicing these days, I sang while playing the piano. He listened and suggested that I try to compose a song if I was able to write a melody. From that moment, I started being serious about composing.
What was the first song you worked on?
It was Park Bom’s solo song “Don’t Cry” that was released in 2011. Teddy-oppa wrote the lyrics and we worked together on the melody. I feel like it didn’t take too much time.
Where do you mainly find the inspiration for your work?
I think the inspiration comes when I hear a track for the first time. From that moment, I think about an emotion and I start working on the lyrics and the melody.
Was there a song it was hard for you to work on?
Lee Hi’s song “It’s Over” from her first full album had this jazz feeling, so it wasn’t easy. So I kept praying/trying everyday and it came out well in the end.
[t/n: “praying” and “trying” are two different words, but you can use the same word in Korean and she’s religious, so I don’t know which one to use in English.]
The first time your face was known through YG was for G-Dragon’s music video for “One Of A Kind”. How did you get to be a part of it?
When GD-oppa’s album came out, he asked me if I could dance in the music video. I said of course I can do it. (laugh)
What do you think when you watch the music video?
Others might feel the same way. When I look at something I do, I’m embarrassed. (laugh) But when we were filming, I was really pulled in. When I’m praying, I always think “Lydia! let’s work hard because you were given a great opportunity”. So I think I was able to do it with confidence.
At that time, you showed a live performance for “Missing You” in “GD Friends Live”.
This was a suggestion from Sajangnim. It was a very good opportunity for me.
G-Dragon’s solo album was a hot issue. Which song(s) do you like?
From the lyrics, to the melody and the producing, I really like GD-oppa’s solo album. My favorite songs are “That XX” and “One of A Kind”.
After that, a lot of people were curious about you. What were the reactions around you at that time?
My friends enjoyed it and congratulated me. Sometimes, there were people who recognized me. It seems that my youtube fans liked it.
How do you choose the songs you cover and upload on youtube?
After finding a song I like, if I find the instrumental on youtube, I download it. I film the video with my iPhone. Sometimes, I only record the audio and I upload it with a picture when I’m running out of time.
I wonder if you practice before uploading your covers on youtube.
I sometimes practice for the songs I knew from before. If it’s a song that was recently released and I like it, I sing with the emotion I feel after listening to it for 30 minutes and memorizing the lyrics.
Do you have a favorite song among the covers you did?
I’d pick “Pusher Love Girl” I sang with Crush and “Suit and Tie” I sang with Tablo-oppa. I think I remember them more because it was fun to work with them than because the covers were good.
You also sang BIGBANG’s “Bad Boy”. When did you get to know BIGBANG?
At first, I was curious to find out about them because my friends worked with them. Once I started working for YG, I got to know them and we became friends.
I guess that YG producers usually give each other a lot of feedbacks.
We always give and receive feedbacks. If I’m curious about something, I ask about it to Teddy-oppa and GD-oppa. They’re always nice and answer to my questions. It’s not just about producing, their style, their personality are good too, so I’m learning a lot. Besides, YG people are overflowing with energy, I think it’s a great inspiration for me.
Recently, you made a fun cameo in CL’s music video for “The Baddest Female”. Is there an anecdote you can tell us about?
I was chewing gum while the filming was on standby. Chaerin told me to play the role of the one combing her hair in the beauty salon scene. But I’m not really good at acting. (laugh) Because it would have given this bad look if I was suddenly chewing gum, so I chewed gum when they filmed us. (laugh)
You did manage to look “bad” like the title of the song. (laugh)
Doesn’t each person carry this kind of image? (laugh)
It was your first attempt at acting, how did you feel about it?
I had never really tried acting before, so I just did it. My scene was short, so I was able to enjoy it with no pressure.
I saw the picture you uploaded on SNS with you and Mademoiselle Yulia. Did you become close while filming the music video?
We did. That day was the first time we met. I was introduced as Chaerin’s friend. She’s very talented and she’s vey nice. She also knew dancers I’m close with, so I had been wanting to meet her even before that.
The first time Cuvism met you was for the ALEA Playground Renewal party. You said you were there to watch Crush’s performance. What did you think of Crush’s stage?
Very charismatic. It was my first time seeing this kind of underground performance in Korea and it was great.
We had an interview with Crush. He said you suggested that the two of you work together after you heard Crush’s song.
By chance, I was at the Illionaire Records headquarters to chill and I heard Crush’s song through Mina-unnie (Mina Kwon)’s recommendation. I thought he was good. He’s young, so that was very surprising to me. We found out that we had similar tastes in music. I thought it’d be fun if we work on a song of the genre we enjoy, so I made him the suggestion. That’s how we ended up singing “Pusher Love Girl” together.
It wasn’t just singing, you also filmed a music video.
A lot of people helped us out for this song. Crush did the arrangement for the song. Yoon Suk Chul did the piano session. Park Ji Min and Irene made the video with us. Irene-unnie has always been interested in directing. Thanks to them, we were able to have a good result.
If you had to choose an artist you’d like to work with, who would it be?
Among foreign artists, I want to work with Jamie Foxx and Stevie Wonder. In Korea, I want to work first with YG artists and the VV:D crew.
I wonder if you have plans for a solo album.
There’s nothing set yet, but I’m thinking about it on my own. Because I’d like to release something like a mixtape.
What kind of concept should we expect if you release an album?
If it does happen, I want to do things my own way. I want to create a picture that people will see through my music.
Do you have a goal as a musician?
In Korea, there are singers who want to have activities in the US. However, I don’t want to work just in the US, I want to work all around the world. If I find success through my music, I want to help a lot of people. If I find success, it means the number of people listening to my music is growing. If it happens, I also want my songs to bring comfort and support to people. This is my dream.
How do you usually spend your days?
I’m working on songs in my spare time. When I have time, I meet my friends or I exercise. Recently, I’ve been going a lot to a place called Brown in Hapjung-dong. I like it because they play soul music.
Do you exercise with Hwang Ssabu-nim (YG resident trainer)?
Ssabu-nim usually finishes his work in the evening. He’s been busy lately because he’s doing the world tour with GD-oppa. So he allowed me to use the gym and I work out on my own. I also have a weird schedule, so I work out at dawn.
You usually go to the VV:D crew’s concerts, don’t you also want to be on stage when you see them performing?
I really want to go on stage.
You went on stage for the latest Alea Playlist Vol.2 party
The atmosphere was really good. I like being goofy (laugh). I think that’s why I did this freestyle dance.
We’re holding the interview at the TwoSome studio and I know you’re a regular customer. What do you think make this place so great and unique?
First of all, the music is great. The ambiance is great too because there are Mina-unnie’s pictures on the wall. And the yogurts and the sandwiches are delicious.
How often do you come here?
I can’t come here often. If I can, then I come here a lot. It’s close to the company, so I can meet my friends here.
We also had an interview with Sunwoo Jung Ah. I heard the two of you exchange a lot about music. What kind of musician do you think Sunwoo Jung Ah is?
In one word, I think Jung Ah-unnie is a genius. Every time I see her performing, I’m really speechless. I think there are no other singers like Jung Ah-unnie.
It seems that she has a good influence on you.
I think I must work harder when Jung Ah-unnie has something that I don’t have. I really love jazz music, but since I don’t have this kind of voice, I can only listen to it. I think it’s amazing how Jung Ah-unnie’s voice can match jazz and rock. And her lyrics are great too.
When did you start learning Korean?
When I was a kid, my mom and my dad sent me to hangul school and this was when I started studying Korean. There’s usually no school on Saturdays, but I also had to go to my hangul class on Saturdays. I really hated that. (laugh) I’m still studying Korean.
Do you have a Korean name?
I don’t use it often, but it’s Baek So Young. There’s nothing special about this name. Because my family name is Paek, it becomes Lydia Paek when you add my English first name. Otherwise I’m just Miss Baek. (laugh)
You have your own unique style. It seems that you have a lot of interest in fashion.
My mom told me the story of a dream she had before I was born. She said there was a basket with a multi-colored ball of string. So when I said I wanted to embrace the fashion path, she told me about this dream. In the end, I’m making music, but both of my parents are musicians too. My father plays the guitar and the harmonica at church, my mum plays the piano.
It seems that your parents gave you their sense for music.
I have one little brother (Joshua Paek). He’s also good at music. He can sing, he can dance, but he’s good at rapping more than anything else. His lyrics are good too. He has a sensibility toward instruments, so he can handle any instrument. I think he’s more than talented than me.
How do you want to spend the rest of your 20′s?
I want to learn more things. I don’t think I’m perfect, so I must improve more. What I want more than anything is to release my album before I turn 30.
What is dancing to you?
I think dancing is a way for me to express everything about myself. Just like music and acting, dancing is about drawing a picture with your body. When I’m going through a hard time or when I’m happy, I can express everything with my body. There are things very important to me. If there’s only one person who feels the emotion I want to convey when I’m dancing or singing on stage, this is enough for me. If the emotion I feel can be a source of comfort to someone else, this is everything to me.
For our last question, please say something to the Cuvism readers.
If you have a dream, don’t stop and keep trying until you reach your goal. This is what I want to tell you. You must try to challenge yourself. Don’t just dream, make it happen!

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu