duminică, 15 iunie 2014

Taeyang: “I'm a singer that likes to express music through dancing”

(Caption under the picture: YG only provides pictures that has been approved by CEO Yang Hyun Suk. Taeyang laughed and said “Maybe that’s because we are not very good looking compared to other idols.”)
Q. I’ve never seen you on stage singing without dancing.
“In the past, I put forward the music that I was good at. The fans liked it, but I don’t think I could try anything new (because of that). I wanted to focus on my vocals, and wanted to have popular appeal as well.” It was strange to hear that an idol was concerned about popular appeal.
Q. Are you saying that your previous work lacked popular appeal?
“When I released my first solo album in 2010, I was into American underground R&B. I wanted to work on African-American music like Frank Ocean, with cold and dark sound as a base. When I prepared my album that way, the CEO (Yang Hyun Suk) said that the music ‘lacks popular appeal’. The songs that I worked on since then are the ones on the new album.” That’s the reason why it took four years for the second album to be released… The first album was mainly about R&B dance and electronic soul music, but the second album has Britpop ‘This Ain’t It’… Taeyang said “I thought I would be able to create a different feel if I sang Britpop, but I am not totally satisfied.”
Q. G-Dragon tends to get more attention in music. You must have some ambition as a solo artist.
“I think it’s because Jiyong has a strong impression as a producer. I have mainly worked as a performer. I have a lot of concerns about my musical direction that I will take after this album, but in the end, I am just a person that likes to express music through singing and dancing.”
Q. You are the only member in BIGBANG that is not involved in acting or appearing on variety shows.
“I don’t have a way with words, and I am shy too. When I am not promoting my albums, I’m usually in the studio, and when I get sick of that, I bike at Han River or watch a movie alone. It might seem boring to others, but for me, it’s fun.” … Perhaps the interview was too awkward for an 8th-year singer Taeyang. He kept rubbing his arm with his hand until his arm turned red.
Q. Compared to the past, the latest of BIGBANG’s music is made up of complicated and difficult sound. It seems that public response has diminished as well.
“That’s right. We are concerned about that too. Since three years ago, we feel that we are at a turning point. But we cannot release something to the public that we cannot accept. It is always difficult to find that balance point between something that appeals to the public and what we want to do.”
Q. Has there been any changes since BIGBANG’s debut?
“The company has grown a lot. When we debuted, we didn’t have an organized training system or support like we do now. We had to make our own songs and choreography. Having that experience is our asset now.”

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu